Find FTC in Europe

Discussions about rockets, construction materials, adhesives, nozzles, nosecones and fin design.
Spaceman Spiff
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Re: Find FTC in Europe

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

andicirk wrote:ok ,i have the return from the company who manufacture polycarbonate tubes, basically they dont have any stockage of polycarbonate tubes so i need your help ,

they will make exactly what i want , so what is the exact size ppl have really dreamed off what is the perfect dimension ,(one that there is no need to shrink a 500ml coke bottle ) one thats a little thicker so it will as standard hold a little more pressure without too much weight being addded ?

has any one got a formula for calculating the weight, pm of various thickness's of polycarbonate
or a diameter x wallthickness xlength = max psi

thanks in advance

andi
If they make whatever you want, will you not have to pay a large fee to set up the equipment to process the order? Otherwise, won't they have a minimum order quantity and you'll have to get dozens or even hundreds of tubes in one order? I have never had any luck getting custom made items like this.
Spaceman Spiff
"What goes up, must come down"
RaZias
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by RaZias »

I don´t know if there would be advantages to:

1-Make the top of the FTC closed

2-Make the bottom with lips for a clark tie launcher

3-Make the bottom in a conical way so in the hole would fit the throath of a bottle.
Research and Development is the soul of WR
andicirk
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by andicirk »

yes there will be a minimum order but the price will also depend on if they have to set up a special machine for the order if someone else is ordering a product that is similar then for the manufacturer to produce x metres extra isnt as expensive as running the machines from scratch , but then again if the product is a special , then a minimum would apply.
lets just say if the tube was exactly what we really want and you have to order 100metres then thats enough or 20 or 30ppl yes it means some one has to make an investement and be organised but thats the way life is .......
looks around to see my girlfreind cant see what im typing :D

anyway i was just fishing for ideas an opinions and then ill see what the minimum run is and its cost
Tim Chen
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Tim Chen »

andicirk wrote:yes there will be a minimum order but the price will also depend on if they have to set up a special machine for the order if someone else is ordering a product that is similar then for the manufacturer to produce x metres extra isnt as expensive as running the machines from scratch , but then again if the product is a special , then a minimum would apply.
lets just say if the tube was exactly what we really want and you have to order 100metres then thats enough or 20 or 30ppl yes it means some one has to make an investement and be organised but thats the way life is .......
looks around to see my girlfreind cant see what im typing :D

anyway i was just fishing for ideas an opinions and then ill see what the minimum run is and its cost
Would you take delivery of the whole lot and then ship them out to people who wanted some?

P.S. Your girlfriend needs to catch the water rocket "fever"!
Tim Chen
Captain, Team Enterprise
andicirk
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by andicirk »

id try too yes depending on the stockage i have at that period , personally though instead of having it shiped to ppl , maybe organise a weekend of rockets and food and beer somewhere and meet up exchange ideas etc and for all those ppl who couldnt make it then id ship it to them
Bonami
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Bonami »

andicirk wrote:id try too yes depending on the stockage i have at that period , personally though instead of having it shiped to ppl , maybe organise a weekend of rockets and food and beer somewhere and meet up exchange ideas etc and for all those ppl who couldnt make it then id ship it to them
Please keep me updated. I am not the best guy to prescribe the size of the tubes but I have a suggestion to find a size that matches the size of a common bottle so the tubes can be spliced in the center of a bisected bottle making it in to a superbottle!
160psi
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by 160psi »

I can vouch for "covershields" - there is no minimum order, just a postage charge. However, I bought some from an electrical wholesaler so that is worth a try as well. The T8s have a wall thickness of approx 0.6-0.7mm and the T12 is 0.9-1.0mm which should hold plenty of pressure. I have flown a T12 with no reinforcement about 20 times with no visible stress at 150psi. Cost in UK from electrical wholesaler was about £4.50 for a T8 and £6.00 for a T12 as far as I can remember (last year).
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by U.S. Water Rockets1 »

160psi wrote:I can vouch for "covershields" - there is no minimum order, just a postage charge. However, I bought some from an electrical wholesaler so that is worth a try as well. The T8s have a wall thickness of approx 0.6-0.7mm and the T12 is 0.9-1.0mm which should hold plenty of pressure. I have flown a T12 with no reinforcement about 20 times with no visible stress at 150psi. Cost in UK from electrical wholesaler was about £4.50 for a T8 and £6.00 for a T12 as far as I can remember (last year).
What lengths do the FTCs come in? In the USA the regular shipping companies typically do not ship packages longer than a certain length. If you order 8 foot FTC tubes the company will cut them in half before they ship them. The alternative is to pay a huge amount o have them shipped by a freight company.
Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Tune in to our YouTube Channel
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. --Thomas Edison
160psi
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by 160psi »

I don't know the answer to this, but I would imagine that the 8' delivery problem would still be an issue. I emailed them with an enquiry last year and they were very helpful, and I know they do tube in sizes other than the standard T8, T12 etc, so maybe longer lengths as well.
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by U.S. Water Rockets1 »

160psi wrote:I don't know the answer to this, but I would imagine that the 8' delivery problem would still be an issue. I emailed them with an enquiry last year and they were very helpful, and I know they do tube in sizes other than the standard T8, T12 etc, so maybe longer lengths as well.
Thanks. If you makes any progress, please post an update.
Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Tune in to our YouTube Channel
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. --Thomas Edison