How to make nice fins on your rocket.

Discussions about rockets, construction materials, adhesives, nozzles, nosecones and fin design.
Team Seneca
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Re: How to make nice fins on your rocket.

Post by Team Seneca »

water rock1 wrote:i know , i used it on my Pyro rockets they really works well. :mrgreen: , why doesn't PL premium foam up when doing splicing , There one glue i know foams up i think is called VISE .
When you splice a joint, the splice covers up the PL Premium Glue and it does not get much exposure to the moisture in the air so it hardens very slowly and that reduces the foaming action. It also makes it take a long time to harden, so if you make a big splice you need to let it harden for several days before use.
Bill W.
Team Seneca
Alex

Post by Alex »

Hey, Would Balsa Wood work? very lite, pretty strong, See if you can get some kind of thick balsa wood and use some sand paper to make a nice shape out of it....

The problem is though, is that Balsa wood is a little brittle and might nott handle the forces of launch...
Water Rockets are amazing things, One second there sitting on the launch pad, the next, splattered all over your shirt.
Tim Chen
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Tim Chen »

Alex wrote:Hey, Would Balsa Wood work? very lite, pretty strong, See if you can get some kind of thick balsa wood and use some sand paper to make a nice shape out of it....

The problem is though, is that Balsa wood is a little brittle and might nott handle the forces of launch...
We have used Balsa wood for fins. It's stronger than foam board and it can be shaped into nice air foil shapes with simple sandpaper and an x-acto knife. There are a lot of sealer products for balsa that can make it very smooth and hard and not add weight. You can't go wrong with it!
Tim Chen
Captain, Team Enterprise
Alex

Post by Alex »

Tim Chen wrote:
Alex wrote:Hey, Would Balsa Wood work? very lite, pretty strong, See if you can get some kind of thick balsa wood and use some sand paper to make a nice shape out of it....

We have used Balsa wood for fins. It's stronger than foam board and it can be shaped into nice air foil shapes with simple sandpaper and an x-acto knife. There are a lot of sealer products for balsa that can make it very smooth and hard and not add weight. You can't go wrong with it!
YAY!
Water Rockets are amazing things, One second there sitting on the launch pad, the next, splattered all over your shirt.
Alex

Post by Alex »

Nice, Just bought some thick Blasa wood....Plenty of it...Gonne make some fins, sand paper it down, make a really nice shape out of it. Go me