Project 'Fire mouse over the Thames'

Discussions about rockets, construction materials, adhesives, nozzles, nosecones and fin design.
rockets-in-brighton

Re: Project 'Fire mouse over the Thames'

Post by rockets-in-brighton »

Rusty wrote:
rockets-in-brighton wrote: Another dethermaliser device used for model gliders has a short length of soft latex tubing, 3mm-6mm internal diameter, length cut according to the delay required, plus a piece of wire from a paper clip bent into a zig-zag shape that just fits inside the tubing. Attach an elastic band to the paper clip to drag it out of the tubing against the resistance made by the zig-zag. Adjust ziig-zag, tubing length, elastic band strength to get the delay required. Rig to release your glider wings when it pops out.
Nice idea, but it looks like it wouldn't be that constant. How do you make sure that it releases the same time each launch?
In my own experiments I found it gave a very consistent delay. I expect you would have to test before each launch that the elastic band has not become over-stretched or has perished, but it was certainly accurate enough for this purpose.
Cheers
Steve
Rockets-in-Brighton
WEB: http://groups.google.co.uk/group/rockets-in-brighton
Rusty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Rusty »

And how should I create a wing mechanism that deploys from this timer?
Also don't the other questions I asked :P
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by U.S. Water Rockets1 »

Rusty wrote:And how should I create a wing mechanism that deploys from this timer?
Also don't the other questions I asked :P
The two wings could be connected with a pivot point like the blades of a scissors. You could put a rubber band on the short side to pull the wings open. Then you gold them closed under tension and put a clip or pin on the tips holding them from opening up. A Tomy timer could be used to pull the clip off after the appropriate delay.

It could be made to work.
Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Tune in to our YouTube Channel
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. --Thomas Edison
Andrewlee
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Andrewlee »

I had that same idea....just havent got a working model yet
"Speak softly, but carry a big stick"
-Andrew Lee

http://thruststormrockets.blogspot.com/
Rusty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Rusty »

U.S. Water Rockets1 wrote: The two wings could be connected with a pivot point like the blades of a scissors. You could put a rubber band on the short side to pull the wings open. Then you gold them closed under tension and put a clip or pin on the tips holding them from opening up. A Tomy timer could be used to pull the clip off after the appropriate delay.

It could be made to work.
Doesn't using a tomy timer defeat the point of this idea ie to not use a tomy timer? :P