Hello from Canada's "WET" coast

This forum is for new members to introduce themselves and tell us how they got started in water rocketry.
Tim Chen
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Re: Hello from Canada's "WET" coast

Post by Tim Chen »

Hi Mac,

Those timers you found are the perfect size for water rockets. I look forward to seeing what kind of parachute system you devise from them. I am tempted to tell you not to look at prior work so you will be less influenced by what has been done before and see what you come up with on your own. That can lead to new innovations when people work in a vacuum.
Tim Chen
Captain, Team Enterprise
Mac

Post by Mac »

Hi Tim:

I know what you mean about working in a vacuum but I have already seen some examples. Some ideas are good but the implementation on most of them is a bit crude IMO. I am one who likes things to look professional..... not a lot of whistles and bells but neat, clean, workman like (no offense to the women who may read this). Some that I have seen that are neatly done look like they add unwanted weight.

I have already considered folding blades to provide an auto-rotation decent but I see that has been done. It causes the rocket to spin and that could be problematic for taking photos on the decent phase.

When I left my son-in-law's home (We were on vacation together) he had already dug up his old physics texts and was in calculation mode. Now that we are back at work in our real occupations, we may not get much done on rocket design until later in the year but we will certainly do research if just to maintain our interest until we can get back to building.

I picked up an hydro-static test pump so I can try out some ideas on weight reduction while maintaining strength at critical points.

I will be experimenting with filament winding PET bottles but I would also like to be able to "weld" PET to other materials. I am not sure that it is possible so I may have to come up with some adhesive idea. Urethane seems to be the adhesive of choice but it does not make neat looking joints and soda bottles are difficult to clamp so I would like something other than Urethane.

BUT everything is life is a compromise. I just have to find the best compromise.

My next job is to find the time to read everything that is on this forum.

Mac
Mark Chen
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Mark Chen »

:W to the forum, Mac!
Mark Chen
Team Enterprise