Hello from Midlands, UK

This forum is for new members to introduce themselves and tell us how they got started in water rocketry.
ade_mcc

Hello from Midlands, UK

Post by ade_mcc »

Hi all, just a quick hello!

I have a long self-compiled list of 'fun Dad' things to do with my two sons and for a long time, about half way down the list it simply said 'water rocket'. Decided last weekend to look a bit more into the basics and discovered that with a few extra bits from the garage, plus a few cheap bits of plumbing, I could probably do something a little more. Then discovered your forum and found that images wouldn't display without signing up so here I am! May I say - the innovation that I see here is fantastic!

I'm currently in the middle of my first launcher build - something along these lines:
http://www.mb-water-rockets.bplaced.de/ ... er_v13.jpg
..as I already had most of the parts or similar, and have acquired the rest (such as non-return valve) today. Then discovered that my 15mm pipework was actually more like 17mm so hope to get some 15mm pipe offcuts tonight for full assembly tomorrow.

With simple hose nozzle and basic fins for starters, my action plan is to conduct basic testing this weekend in the garden with reasonably low pressures and a short tether (to prevent showering the neighbours!). Once this has been sorted, then weekend after - shoot for the stars!

I'll update with a couple of photos and see how it all works out.

Please note that I'm a big fan of the search button which is good as I see that many hurdles have been overcome already. My hobby is bodging and my job is acoustics so probably won't be able to contribute much but am looking forward to seeing just what can be done with the materials available. Cheers all!
WRA2
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Hello from Midlands, UK

Post by WRA2 »

ade_mcc wrote:Hi all, just a quick hello!

I have a long self-compiled list of 'fun Dad' things to do with my two sons and for a long time, about half way down the list it simply said 'water rocket'. Decided last weekend to look a bit more into the basics and discovered that with a few extra bits from the garage, plus a few cheap bits of plumbing, I could probably do something a little more. Then discovered your forum and found that images wouldn't display without signing up so here I am! May I say - the innovation that I see here is fantastic!

I'm currently in the middle of my first launcher build - something along these lines:
http://www.mb-water-rockets.bplaced.de/ ... er_v13.jpg
..as I already had most of the parts or similar, and have acquired the rest (such as non-return valve) today. Then discovered that my 15mm pipework was actually more like 17mm so hope to get some 15mm pipe offcuts tonight for full assembly tomorrow.

With simple hose nozzle and basic fins for starters, my action plan is to conduct basic testing this weekend in the garden with reasonably low pressures and a short tether (to prevent showering the neighbours!). Once this has been sorted, then weekend after - shoot for the stars!

I'll update with a couple of photos and see how it all works out.

Please note that I'm a big fan of the search button which is good as I see that many hurdles have been overcome already. My hobby is bodging and my job is acoustics so probably won't be able to contribute much but am looking forward to seeing just what can be done with the materials available. Cheers all!
Welcome to the forum! :W

We have a comprehensive list of links to help you get started:
http://www.wra2.org/Water_Rocket_Tutori ... _Links.php
Lisa Walker,
:WRA2: Forum Administrator. :WRA2:
:WRA2:The Water Rocket Achievement World Record Association :WRA2:
wormster
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by wormster »

How bist then my babber?

From the bottom of the Mendip Hills in Zummersetshire!
bugwubber
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by bugwubber »

Howdy from Minnesota

Had to look up some of your English words-

Bodging is a traditional wood-turning craft, using green (unseasoned) wood to make chair legs and other cylindrical parts of chairs

So you do lathe work? That could come in handy for crafting nosecones and connectors.

I'm a father as well, here for my own kids and my Cubscout Den.

Good luck and I look forward to seeing what you come up with!

Bugwubber
Bugwubber

Team S.P.E.W.
wormster
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by wormster »

Bodge in uk english equates to kludge in us english!
ade_mcc

Post by ade_mcc »

Thanks all for the warm welcome and very handy links - these will keep me out of trouble for a while.
Wormster is spot on - I like to use old items for new items I am constructing, though my Dad does lathe wood so this could be very handy!
Furthermore, I'm hoping my friend, an engineering teacher will assist later down the line with his access to lazer cutter and 3D printer.

As you can see from my progress so far, for prototype 1, I am not looking to re-invent the wheel, just get something working for starters before playing around. Fun is definitely the goal, so looking forward to a good summer!
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b339/ ... f783bf.jpg
bugwubber
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by bugwubber »

wormster wrote:Bodge in uk english equates to kludge in us english!
Aghast that wikipedia lead me astray! ;-)
Bugwubber

Team S.P.E.W.
wormster
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by wormster »

Mate, Two countries separated by a common language, that's all!
Team Seneca
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Team Seneca »

bugwubber wrote:
Remember: If you don't like something Wikipedia says, you can enlist some of your buddies to take turns changing it in ways you find more appealing whenever someone else puts the correct information in. :grouphug:
Bill W.
Team Seneca
ade_mcc

Post by ade_mcc »

Bah - I thought I was keeping things simple but so many leaks! Around the grenada connections seemed to be the first culprit, but I was able to improve this with electrical tape to provide a snugger fit. Then I found that the rubber around the schrader valve connecting to my bike pump was loosing air. Now the system seems to be holding at low pressure but my gauge doesn't seem to work!! Hope I didn't get water in it earlier in the week. Anyway, still going strong but getting the system airtight is taking longer than I thought.

On the plus side, my release mechanism seems to be locking and releasing okay - I just need a few psi now to launch!!
ade_mcc

Post by ade_mcc »

...and that's probably enough of an introduction now, I'll go and make use of other threads where appropriate from now on :)
Just to announce that day 1 testing of the very low-pressure launcher went well with an unmodified 1ltr bottle on a tether. I need to improve both the release mechanism and the area around the bike valve that severely leaks but it's a start. I'll be much further back from the launcher once the pressures start to increase!
bugwubber
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by bugwubber »

ade_mcc wrote:...and that's probably enough of an introduction now, I'll go and make use of other threads where appropriate from now on :)
Just to announce that day 1 testing of the very low-pressure launcher went well with an unmodified 1ltr bottle on a tether. I need to improve both the release mechanism and the area around the bike valve that severely leaks but it's a start. I'll be much further back from the launcher once the pressures start to increase!
Cool good luck!

I use teflon tape to solve threaded joint leaks.

Bugwubber
Bugwubber

Team S.P.E.W.
bugwubber
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by bugwubber »

Team Seneca wrote:
bugwubber wrote:
Remember: If you don't like something Wikipedia says, you can enlist some of your buddies to take turns changing it in ways you find more appealing whenever someone else puts the correct information in. :grouphug:
I'll keep that in mind. Might come in handy some day. Thanks for the tip!

Bugwubber
Bugwubber

Team S.P.E.W.
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by U.S. Water Rockets1 »

bugwubber wrote: I'll keep that in mind. Might come in handy some day. Thanks for the tip!

Bugwubber
It looks like Bill was being sarcastic.
Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Tune in to our YouTube Channel
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. --Thomas Edison