How did everyone get started?

This forum is for new members to introduce themselves and tell us how they got started in water rocketry.
Spaceman Spiff
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

How did everyone get started?

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

I was asking this on the group earlier today and thought I'd catch those of you who are only on this forum.

I just wanted to start a fun topic where you guys could all share how you got interested in this water rocket stuff. I think it would be great to find out how everyone else "discovered" this "addiction". Anyone care to share?

Looking forward to your responses!
Spaceman Spiff
"What goes up, must come down"
U.S. Water Rockets
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by U.S. Water Rockets »

Our story is pretty well documented on our website. Do you really want to have it re-hashed again here? :D
Drag_Racer408a
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Drag_Racer408a »

No but could you post a link to where we coudl read it?
-Team Parental Advisory

Shameless commercial plug...... http://teamparentaladvisory.googlepages.com
CubmasterDax

How we got started.

Post by CubmasterDax »

Was looking for a Pack event for our 50 Cub Scouts. I had heard of water rockets and looked it up online. Then once the committee approved it I went and spent 64$ and built 10 launchers. Passed them out to our Dens after a Pack Meeting Demonstration.

Our event is in July. So that gives them plently of time to come up with some good designs.

So far.. I have had our Den out and have reached about 400 ft. with a 16.8 oz and about 550 with a 2L.

We shot one for distance and got about 400 ft across a field at a park.

I will post pics of the event when we have it.

I am looking to build the launcher computer but it looks daunting. Anyone have a WELL DOCUMENTED site showing the tommy timer method? I found pics online but nothing specifically detailing out how to make it work.

Thanks in advance.

Cubmaster Castro
ourpack49.com
Tim Chen
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Re: How we got started.

Post by Tim Chen »

CubmasterDax wrote:Was looking for a Pack event for our 50 Cub Scouts. I had heard of water rockets and looked it up online. Then once the committee approved it I went and spent 64$ and built 10 launchers. Passed them out to our Dens after a Pack Meeting Demonstration.

Our event is in July. So that gives them plently of time to come up with some good designs.

So far.. I have had our Den out and have reached about 400 ft. with a 16.8 oz and about 550 with a 2L.

We shot one for distance and got about 400 ft across a field at a park.

I will post pics of the event when we have it.

I am looking to build the launcher computer but it looks daunting. Anyone have a WELL DOCUMENTED site showing the tommy timer method? I found pics online but nothing specifically detailing out how to make it work.

Thanks in advance.

Cubmaster Castro
ourpack49.com

Welcome!

I know I have seen a realy good site with pics of a Tomy timer deploy. I will look for it and post the link.

(Yes, it's really called a Tomy Timer. Tomy is the name of the company that made all those wind-up toys, and so the timer is named after them!)
Tim Chen
Captain, Team Enterprise
Tim Chen
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Tim Chen »

CubmasterDax wrote:

ourpack49.com
I just realized you may have had the name wrong and didn't turn up much on the Tomy Timers. There's a number of good sources I turned up with a serach:

waterrocket.uh-lab.de/tomytimers.htm

http://www.geocities.com/wrgarage/timer.htm

hometown.aol.com/powerdeployment/VDTT.html

Good luck!
Tim Chen
Captain, Team Enterprise
Tim Chen
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Tim Chen »

Tim Chen
Captain, Team Enterprise
Bonami
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Re: How did everyone get started?

Post by Bonami »

[quote="Spaceman Spiff"]I was asking this on the group earlier today and thought I'd catch those of you who are only on this forum.

I just wanted to start a fun topic where you guys could all share how you got interested in this water rocket stuff. I think it would be great to find out how everyone else "discovered" this "addiction". Anyone care to share?

U.S. Water Rockets
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by U.S. Water Rockets »

What was that Bonami? Your message was garbled.
Bonami
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Bonami »

U.S. Water Rockets wrote:What was that Bonami? Your message was garbled.
My apology. I hit the wrong thing and sent by mistake.
tsumrall
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by tsumrall »

It was 1985. I was working at the Area Maintenance Support Facility in Greenwood Mississippi.

A co-worker showed up with a pin-pull launcher and a naked 2L bottle. He put in some wtaer, pumped it up and let it fly.

That same day I had a launcher built and my 3 sons and I launched all weekend. 8)

This was pre-internet for me so I had no guides to help further the idea. After a while I drifted to other interests.

13 years later (gads!) I searched for water rockets on the net and saw that 1000ft had been broken!

I was hooked for good. I played with every early design that was out there but it wasn't long before pop bottles just wasn't getting it so I started building with with FTC. I flew my first FTC rocket in Sep 2001.

I'm currently prototyping a ...
Tim Sumrall
http://sumrallworks.com/rockets
Where is my launch team?
Brian
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

how i got started

Post by Brian »

when i was really young i always liked to make stuff, experiment and design things. but as i grew older i got bored. i needed more of a challenge instead of sticky taping 2 boxes together or designing these farfeched things. i dicovered match rockets but they didn't go high and they were hard to launch. but i tryed to make them better. as i kept researching rockets i discovered water rockets. i thought they were to hard until i learnt more about them. my first water rocket was a bottle with a sprinkler system but it was real heavy. then i made a pop top lid bottle rocket that launched a 300ml bottle 3 times higher than the power lines (alot higher than before). i did alot of experiments with my little water rockets but i hadn't launched large high flying rockets so last week i made a launcher out of a wine bottle calk (works well apart from a small leak). i'll hopefully launch this rocket on friday (15th)
do you have any tips for me.
Brian
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

delayed flight

Post by Brian »

i can't launch my new water rocket because i blew it up. so i decided to just launch a 2.25L bottle but than i realised that i also blew up the bike pump connecter as well.
for more detales check out the topic 'DANGER!.'
Ascender Water Rockets
http://ascenderwaterrockets.weebly.com/
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCS2NHXS-VFxEux70DCINR0w
CSAldridge
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by CSAldridge »

I had my first water rocket quite a long time ago and looked very similar to U.S. Water Rockets picture there, except mine was a clear red plastic rocket instead of green but the launcher part looked just like that. I tried making one out of a 2 liter bottle back then just to see if i could do it, but i was never able to come up with a way to pressurize it successfully.

seeing all these newer designs for launchers is what is getting me interested again.
monboy10
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by monboy10 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:I was asking this on the group earlier today and thought I'd catch those of you who are only on this forum.

i got interested modle rockets from a camp that i go to and i still fly modle rockets but i wanted to save some money so i became interested in water rocketts. i have played with water rockets for a long time but mostly they were launched by a tire valve and a cork. then i built a thing that held the bottle onto a cork and it worked better than the other one. now i have built a cable tie launcher and it works great.

with the simple cork ones my uncle who lives in BC and travles alot and he asked me how to make one so i told him. then the next time he came he was telling me that he stayed in this one hotle for a while and there was this one kid who he said looked bord so he taught him how to make a simple water rocket and he said that when he had left he was still playing with it and he loved it.