Pressure test self launch

Discussions about rockets, construction materials, adhesives, nozzles, nosecones and fin design.
guy97
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Pressure test self launch

Post by guy97 »

I was pressure testing my nozzle at 100psi last night, 600ml coke bottle with 50cc water and a 9mm nozzle, I launched it and it went too high. I went hunting all night but no luck. This morning I launched another went a tether line at 100psi,another 600ml bottle with 50cc of water and a 9mm nozzle. It broke the tether and flew 60-70 feet in the air. I Lost it as well and my only 2 nozzles.
Very anger.
WRA2
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: ANNOYED

Post by WRA2 »

guy97 wrote:I was pressure testing my nozzle at 100psi last night, 600ml coke bottle with 50cc water and a 9mm nozzle, I launched it and it went too high. I went hunting all night but no luck. This morning I launched another went a tether line at 100psi,another 600ml bottle with 50cc of water and a 9mm nozzle. It broke the tether and flew 60-70 feet in the air. I Lost it as well and my only 2 nozzles.
Very anger.
The best way to pressure test is to fill the rocket completely with water. Not only will it not go very far if launched but if it bursts it is safer. Most of the stored energy comes from the air that is compressed. If you fill it with water you will still test the strength of your rocket but will not fill it with the potential energy to either explode violently or launch far. There just isn't the room to store as much air.
Lisa Walker,
:WRA2: Forum Administrator. :WRA2:
:WRA2:The Water Rocket Achievement World Record Association :WRA2:
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by U.S. Water Rockets1 »

WRA2 wrote:
guy97 wrote:I was pressure testing my nozzle at 100psi last night, 600ml coke bottle with 50cc water and a 9mm nozzle, I launched it and it went too high. I went hunting all night but no luck. This morning I launched another went a tether line at 100psi,another 600ml bottle with 50cc of water and a 9mm nozzle. It broke the tether and flew 60-70 feet in the air. I Lost it as well and my only 2 nozzles.
Very anger.
The best way to pressure test is to fill the rocket completely with water. Not only will it not go very far if launched but if it bursts it is safer. Most of the stored energy comes from the air that is compressed. If you fill it with water you will still test the strength of your rocket but will not fill it with the potential energy to either explode violently or launch far. There just isn't the room to store as much air.
Good points!

If you are testing a nozzle in flight or static testing it, you can tether the rocket to a heavy or fixed object and it will not go far. Just do not use elastic line or you will cause more problems when the rocket rebounds.
Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Tune in to our YouTube Channel
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. --Thomas Edison
guy97
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by guy97 »

Hi,
I got one nozzle back and apparently broke on impact so oh well.

Regards,
Mathew
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

guy97 wrote:Hi,
I got one nozzle back and apparently broke on impact so oh well.

Regards,
Mathew
Easy come, easy go.

Try the "leash" on the rocket next time. It will solve these problems.
Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. --Thomas Edison
guy97
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by guy97 »

I will try that. While I was trying to find a launch site with my dad, we went 4WD trying to get to a open field when the tyres started spinning. We were bogged for 20 mins. End of that day.
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

guy97 wrote:I will try that. While I was trying to find a launch site with my dad, we went 4WD trying to get to a open field when the tyres started spinning. We were bogged for 20 mins. End of that day.
Sorry you can't test launch. Better luck next time.
Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page