100% Pneumatic Timer/Chute Deployment

Discussion about deployment systems including altimeters, timers, air speed flaps, servo systems, and chemical reactions.
marksmandcs
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

100% Pneumatic Timer/Chute Deployment

Post by marksmandcs »

It has been a while since I posted anything here or messed with water rockets. My kids got me back into it last year and I wanted to share some new water rocket "technology" I developed recently. Perhaps to inspire others? I'm not sure if I could sell these parts so I figured I'd share the idea. Its complicated mathematically but mechanically quite simple.

This system uses the air pressure from the rocket motor tank to charge a chute timer tank as well as the chute deployment charge tank. All that needs to be done to prepare for flight is to pack the chute and nosecone, fill with water, pressurize, and launch. The timer and chute charge are set and activated automatically by the motor charge pressure.

The timer starts when there is drop in motor pressure. The timer time is set by an adjustable valve or by changing an orifice. I've notice that the timer can somewhat adjust automatically to compensate for apogee caused by differences in launch pressure. I have not determined the ideal volume ratios to take advantage of this yet but I tend to stick to one pressure. It does NOT compensate for changes in water volume however. After the timer tank and charge tank reaches a certain pressure differential, the chute deployment valve pops open and the chute and nosecone are blown forcefully out of the rocket.

The main downside to the system is you must check for leaks occasionally, lube o-rings, and blow out excessive water that make its way into the timer tank. Other than that, it works pretty well so far.
Attachments
first four prototypes (critical details withheld ;) )
first four prototypes (critical details withheld ;) )
PneumaticChuteConcept.jpg (187.95 KiB) Viewed 30 times
ready to launch
ready to launch
Resized_20210328_165322 (1).jpeg (493.1 KiB) Viewed 30 times
anachronist
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Re: 100% Pneumatic Timer/Chute Deployment

Post by anachronist »

This is a really interesting idea, but it isn't clear from the drawings how it works, or how you would fabricate it.

The idea reminds me of the Flushometer concept patented in 1906 by Sloan Valve Company. This is the timed flush valve one sees today on toilets in public washrooms. It also uses a timer employing a pressure differential and a calibrated orifice; the flush valve is kept open until closed by water coming through the orifice to fill a cavity that closes the valve.
motorcyclepilot
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Re: 100% Pneumatic Timer/Chute Deployment

Post by motorcyclepilot »

A very elegant low-tech solution IMHO. Any further developments?