Good Parachute Material/How to make it

Discussions about rockets, construction materials, adhesives, nozzles, nosecones and fin design.
Alex

Good Parachute Material/How to make it

Post by Alex »

Well, the tittle says it all....What's a good material for a parachute? and how can I make one without it looking like some peice of junk? :oops:
Water Rockets are amazing things, One second there sitting on the launch pad, the next, splattered all over your shirt.
chriswaterrockets
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Re: Good Parachute Material/How to make it

Post by chriswaterrockets »

Alex wrote:Well, the tittle says it all....What's a good material for a parachute? and how can I make one without it looking like some peice of junk? :oops:
Hey Alex,

I make my parachutes out of garbage bags.

Here's how I make them.
Unbenannt.jpg
Cut the bag open, so that you have a big rectangular piece of plastic.
Then just fold along the dotted lines. And in the end cut along the red line.
You can also repeat the folding a few times more. That'll give you a "better" circle.
dongfang
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by dongfang »

Hi,

People here discard their umbrellas everywhere when the wind (which is rare here) damages them. Then, I - eh - recover one of them, cut the canopy off the frame with an X-acto knife, and cut a hole in the middle.

I use synthetic sewing twine (polyester I think it is) as lines. Just get some twine tougher than cotton - and some that does not tangle all the time. You can tie the twine around each corner of the canopy - if you use the right knot, and do it tightly enough, it will not come off (you can additionally secure the knot with a little super glue).

The umbrella frame is, by the way, also a goldmine of little rods, hinges, springs and what not, perfect for making air flap releases etc.

Regards
Soren
andicirk
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by andicirk »

dongfang wrote:Hi,

People here discard their umbrellas everywhere when the wind (which is rare here) damages them. Then, I - eh - recover one of them, cut the canopy off the frame with an X-acto knife, and cut a hole in the middle.

I use synthetic sewing twine (polyester I think it is) as lines. Just get some twine tougher than cotton - and some that does not tangle all the time. You can tie the twine around each corner of the canopy - if you use the right knot, and do it tightly enough, it will not come off (you can additionally secure the knot with a little super glue).

The umbrella frame is, by the way, also a goldmine of little rods, hinges, springs and what not, perfect for making air flap releases etc.

Regards
Soren
thats excallent

and its recycling which is even better
Alex

Post by Alex »

Thanks you guys
Water Rockets are amazing things, One second there sitting on the launch pad, the next, splattered all over your shirt.
Alex

Post by Alex »

chriswaterrockets wrote:
Alex wrote:Well, the tittle says it all....What's a good material for a parachute? and how can I make one without it looking like some peice of junk? :oops:
Hey Alex,

I make my parachutes out of garbage bags.

Here's how I make them.
Unbenannt.jpg
Cut the bag open, so that you have a big rectangular piece of plastic.
Then just fold along the dotted lines. And in the end cut along the red line.
You can also repeat the folding a few times more. That'll give you a "better" circle.
Hah, i'm amazed, this works...I just did this with a peice of paper...Did the fold then cut about 7 times, then got a good....half circle...or Quarter......But it works....I think i'll do this when I have the time.....Though I am worried....Will the bah be able to hold and not rip when it un firls? it'll go through a big ''jolt'' when it un firls...suddenly catching air and slowing down....oh well....
monboy10
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by monboy10 »

put some tape where ever you are going to put the strings for it then put a hole through the tape to renforce it
Team Seneca
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Team Seneca »

monboy10 wrote:put some tape where ever you are going to put the strings for it then put a hole through the tape to renforce it
I use these little round adhesive circles that are intended for repairing 3-ring notebook pages that get torn out. I stick one of them on each side of the trash bag parachute and then punch out the hole. It works great as a strain relief!
Bill W.
Team Seneca
monboy10
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by monboy10 »

yep those work good to
Graveyard
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Graveyard »

Go somewhere like Hobby Lobby and get a yard of Ripstop nylon. It's easy to work with...same deal as the garbage bag. I had my daughter to hem the edges and sew on loops. While She was hemming, I cut strips of the nylon and folded them or rolled them like a straw, flattened them and She sewed down the length of it. After that, I cut them into 2 or 3 inch pieces, folded the ends together and She then sewed those onto six corners on the parachute.
I then use twine that I wax. The wax keep the string from tangling. I use Gulf wax for canning. You can get it at the grocery in the canning section. Just drag the strings over the block of wax 3 or 4 times...works good!

I actually got this info from another site but I don't have the addy any longer. Just google building parachutes using ripstop nylon or something like that. I kinda stumbled on it.

Later 8)
Alex

Post by Alex »

Or, just buy some parachute from ahobby shop :lazy:
reno1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by reno1 »

Graveyard wrote:Go somewhere like Hobby Lobby and get a yard of Ripstop nylon. It's easy to work with...same deal as the garbage bag. I had my daughter to hem the edges and sew on loops. While She was hemming, I cut strips of the nylon and folded them or rolled them like a straw, flattened them and She sewed down the length of it. After that, I cut them into 2 or 3 inch pieces, folded the ends together and She then sewed those onto six corners on the parachute.
I then use twine that I wax. The wax keep the string from tangling. I use Gulf wax for canning. You can get it at the grocery in the canning section. Just drag the strings over the block of wax 3 or 4 times...works good!

I actually got this info from another site but I don't have the addy any longer. Just google building parachutes using ripstop nylon or something like that. I kinda stumbled on it.

Later 8)
Old tents work great also.
D. Reno, Team Leader.
Team Pump It!
Alex

Post by Alex »

That works, a wee bit big though? unless you get a smal one and cut...
sleepililgirl
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by sleepililgirl »

How are you sure that they will deploy once it reaches the maximum height?
A5Ben
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by A5Ben »

I've been using a trash bag, but, I did it the hard way by measuring out a circle and cutting. NEVER again! I'll be using this folding trick.

Ben in SC