Rocket explosions

Discussions about rockets, construction materials, adhesives, nozzles, nosecones and fin design.
chriswaterrockets
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Rocket explosions

Post by chriswaterrockets »

Yesterday we had a family reunion and I was asked to launch few rockets. So we went down into the fields, set everything up, pressurized the rocket and...BOOM!
One splice failed at about 8.5 bar (123 psi). That was the first explosion I had...
Anyway, my question is how many launches can a spliced pair take? Do you have any experience? I know it depends a lot on how the splice is made, the glue used, launch pressure and so on.
I tested this pair to 10 bar (145 psi) and I used it maybe 15-20 times. So actually it's not surprising that sooner or later it fails.
The damage was minor. I had one of my aluminium guide rails bent and the splice of course, but the chute section and altimeter were fine.

So, how do you do it? Do you use a splice like 10 times and then throw it away or do you use until it blows up?
dongfang
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Re: Rocket explosions

Post by dongfang »

Hi,

Can you post some pictures of the failure? Which bottles were that?

In my experience (with PU Max = polyurethane), the strength of a splice does not change over time. I just fly them until they get too much parachute-failed crash damage; something that happens often here :shock:

I have had many rockets made of 2 liter bottles fail in test, at about 6.5 .. 8 bar. Looking closer at it, it appears that they always started failing next to the splice, not in the splice: Where I had roughened the bottle wall for glueing, but not covered by the other bottle.

Next time I build them, I will leave the first 1/5 or so of the splice smooth, roughen the next 3/5 and leave the last 1/5 smooth again.. or something like that.

Regards
Soren
chriswaterrockets
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by chriswaterrockets »

Hi Soren,
Unfortunately I don't have any pictures, sorry. I'll take some next time around... :roll:
Thanks for the info anyway. Your idea about the sanding sounds good, I think I'll do that too.
team-helder
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by team-helder »

boom
water rockets are fun what i mean with fun wen u put some foam in it and let ur dad leanch it right next to it !
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by U.S. Water Rockets1 »

It's amusing to see these scenes play out where the rocket explodes and then the crowd that gathered around starts clapping and cheering because they assumed that was that was supposed to happen.
:lol:
Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Tune in to our YouTube Channel
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. --Thomas Edison