1,5 litre rocket, extrem light

Discussions about rockets, construction materials, adhesives, nozzles, nosecones and fin design.
Batkiter

1,5 litre rocket, extrem light

Post by Batkiter »

Hello Faris!

I built these 1.5 litres of rocket with a large parachute module for a 600mm parachute for a long airtime. Extremely light, 120 gram, 9mm Nozzle. Construction period 20 hours.

Regards Batkiter
Attachments
1,5 litrer rocket, 120 gram.
1,5 litrer rocket, 120 gram.
BILD0313.JPG (153.08 KiB) Viewed 189 times
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Re: 1,5 litre rocket, extrem light

Post by U.S. Water Rockets1 »

Batkiter wrote:Hello Faris!

I built these 1.5 litres of rocket with a large parachute module for a 600mm parachute for a long airtime. Extremely light, 120 gram, 9mm Nozzle. Construction period 20 hours.

Regards Batkiter
Hey Batkiter!

Do you find that the way you mounted your fins on the sleeve causes the rocket to have more drag? The boat-tail shape of the neck of the bottles should be more efficient than the abrupt end of the edge of your sleeve. Is there an advantage of the sleeve system that counteracts the drag of the sleeve?
Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Tune in to our YouTube Channel
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. --Thomas Edison
Batkiter

Post by Batkiter »

U.S. Water Rockets1 wrote:

Regards Batkiter
Hey Batkiter!

Do you find that the way you mounted your fins on the sleeve causes the rocket to have more drag? The boat-tail shape of the neck of the bottles should be more efficient than the abrupt end of the edge of your sleeve. Is there an advantage of the sleeve system that counteracts the drag of the sleeve?

The airstream is led around by the long case at the end of the rocket around the nozzle and produces no turbulences at the bottle neck and at the nozzle beginning. Thus develops for less turbulence and braking action on the initial thrust. Becomes clearly apparent in the height. A further advantage is the better relationship from emphasis and pressure point to overall length and weight of the rocket.

Regards Batkiter
faris
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by faris »

thanks!!!!! really appreciate it!!! :D
Spaceman Spiff
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Batkiter wrote:
U.S. Water Rockets1 wrote:

Regards Batkiter
Hey Batkiter!

The airstream is led around by the long case at the end of the rocket around the nozzle and produces no turbulences at the bottle neck and at the nozzle beginning. Thus develops for less turbulence and braking action on the initial thrust. Becomes clearly apparent in the height. A further advantage is the better relationship from emphasis and pressure point to overall length and weight of the rocket.

Regards Batkiter

I think the shape of the tail section relates to the speed of the object. I remember reading that toyota makes the back of the prius hybrid car flat with a sharp corner to improve the drag coefficient because the air will come off the edge with less turbulence but this is a poor shape for a jet fighter because the same effect causes a low pressure area in the void behind it that makes more drag.
Spaceman Spiff
"What goes up, must come down"
dongfang
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by dongfang »

Hi,

My bomb experiment pretty much showed it - a tapered tail is good.

Regards
Soren
Tim Chen
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Tim Chen »

dongfang wrote:Hi,

My bomb experiment pretty much showed it - a tapered tail is good.

Regards
Soren
If I understand batkiter's post correctly, he said that his altitudes were improved with the flat tail section. Is there some other factor at work here that we are not thinking of?
Tim Chen
Captain, Team Enterprise
dongfang
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by dongfang »

Hi,

Eeeeh no I can't think of anything...

... I got to get that rocket flight logger of mine finished one of these months... that should be able to gather some evidence.

Regards
Soren