Tubes for Tennis Balls (alternative to FTC)

Discussions about rockets, construction materials, adhesives, nozzles, nosecones and fin design.
RaZias
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Tubes for Tennis Balls (alternative to FTC)

Post by RaZias »

I think that tubes for tennis balls are good alternative to FTC rockets.
(I am talking of those made of PET and not the ones made of PVC)

Here is a photo:
Foto016.jpg
Foto016.jpg (80.98 KiB) Viewed 67 times
Research and Development is the soul of WR
rockets-in-brighton

Re: Tubes for Tennis Balls (alternative to FTC)

Post by rockets-in-brighton »

RaZias wrote:I think that tubes for tennis balls are good alternative to FTC rockets.

Here is a photo:
Foto016.jpg
Interesting! Not very big (3 ball container: 7cm x 20cm, about 0.7 L volume) but obviously good to start out with nice straight sides. Can be spliced with existing technology, including nozzles from 330 ml which have close to the same diameter. The ones I have seen are quite thin walled but I guess they could be reinforced if required. Now all you need is access to your local tennis club's bins.
Cheers
Steve
Rockets-in-Brighton
WEB: http://groups.google.co.uk/group/rockets-in-brighton
Spaceman Spiff
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

rockets-in-brighton wrote:
RaZias wrote:I think that tubes for tennis balls are good alternative to FTC rockets.

Here is a photo:
Foto016.jpg
Interesting! Not very big (3 ball container: 7cm x 20cm, about 0.7 L volume) but obviously good to start out with nice straight sides. Can be spliced with existing technology, including nozzles from 330 ml which have close to the same diameter. The ones I have seen are quite thin walled but I guess they could be reinforced if required. Now all you need is access to your local tennis club's bins.
I had the same thought about a year ago but I think I may have had PVC cans because they held only about 90PSI. However I discovered something else you might find interesting... some brands sell the balls in a 4 pack canister! That's what? 33% longer! If you can find those in PET you will be able to splice a lot less.
Spaceman Spiff
"What goes up, must come down"
RaZias
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by RaZias »

The ones I posted are made of PETE, I don't know how many are there, I didn't counted.
Research and Development is the soul of WR