Decided to build a Water rocket tommorow!

Discussions about rockets, construction materials, adhesives, nozzles, nosecones and fin design.
Natonstan

Decided to build a Water rocket tommorow!

Post by Natonstan »

Hey guys, I'm amazed there is a forum devoted to water rockets, this is great!

Anyways, tommorow I decided will build a water rocket for the first time, I've seen it done before but I decided I would design one myself and see how well I can do, I have made a simple design and I wondered if you guys thought it seemed ok for a first, simple water rocket.

My design:

I am going to be using 2 Soda bottles, one for the motor and the nosecone, I will use 1/3 Water, 2/3 Air (Correct me if this sounds stupid), I will then be using a foot pump to pump air into the bottle, I was thinking of a simple Tripod launch pad but would like ideas.

So if anything sounds wrong could you please offer tips and I will let everyone know how my launch goes!
rockets-in-brighton

Re: Decided to build a Water rocket tommorow!

Post by rockets-in-brighton »

If you'd like it to fly straight you should add fins at the nozzle end. These can be fairly simple, but should be stiff and attached securely.

Good luck! Take a few pics and post them here.
Natonstan wrote:Hey guys, I'm amazed there is a forum devoted to water rockets, this is great!

Anyways, tommorow I decided will build a water rocket for the first time, I've seen it done before but I decided I would design one myself and see how well I can do, I have made a simple design and I wondered if you guys thought it seemed ok for a first, simple water rocket.

My design:

I am going to be using 2 Soda bottles, one for the motor and the nosecone, I will use 1/3 Water, 2/3 Air (Correct me if this sounds stupid), I will then be using a foot pump to pump air into the bottle, I was thinking of a simple Tripod launch pad but would like ideas.

So if anything sounds wrong could you please offer tips and I will let everyone know how my launch goes!
Cheers
Steve
Rockets-in-Brighton
WEB: http://groups.google.co.uk/group/rockets-in-brighton