Why no height record for class C?

Discussions about rockets, construction materials, adhesives, nozzles, nosecones and fin design.
nspman327

Why no height record for class C?

Post by nspman327 »

I am new to record attempts, and have been launching both water rockets (and air cannon projectiles, as I have recently found) for about a year and a half. No on board cameras, and only marginally successful parachute recovery systems.

I would like to know what height to shoot for, as the total time aloft seems to be entirely dependant on the recovery system. The rocket bodies I use are generally 20 or 24 ounce plastic soda bottles. I have been calculating height by using an inclinometer and math.

Without a reliable recovery system, my rockets come down as fast as they go up, and have a total elapsed flight time of around 8.5 to 9 seconds. Unoccupied soccer fields and launching upwind of the recovery area have been necessary. Nearly 100 meters to apogee, by my calculations.

Can I have some guidance?
WRA2
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Why no height record for class C?

Post by WRA2 »

nspman327 wrote:I am new to record attempts, and have been launching both water rockets (and air cannon projectiles, as I have recently found) for about a year and a half. No on board cameras, and only marginally successful parachute recovery systems.

I would like to know what height to shoot for, as the total time aloft seems to be entirely dependant on the recovery system. The rocket bodies I use are generally 20 or 24 ounce plastic soda bottles. I have been calculating height by using an inclinometer and math.

Without a reliable recovery system, my rockets come down as fast as they go up, and have a total elapsed flight time of around 8.5 to 9 seconds. Unoccupied soccer fields and launching upwind of the recovery area have been necessary. Nearly 100 meters to apogee, by my calculations.

Can I have some guidance?
You should work on getting your recovery system more reliable before considering any record attempts.

The list of current records can be found at:

http://www.wra2.org/WRA2_Standings.php

All world record classes require electronic verification (onboard camera and altimeter data)

http://www.wra2.org/WRA2_Class_A_Rules.php

http://www.wra2.org/WRA2_Class_B_Rules.php

Good luck and welcome to the forum :W our members would happy to help you solve any issues with your deplooyment system.
Lisa Walker,
:WRA2: Forum Administrator. :WRA2:
:WRA2:The Water Rocket Achievement World Record Association :WRA2:
nspman327

Post by nspman327 »

As I read that chart, Team D&P Rockets has a personal best of 534 ft, and hold the record for flight time of 1.47 minutes? Is that 1min 47 seconds, or 1 min 28 seconds?

Not that it really matters, It is Awesome either way. And Second place is total flight time of 21 seconds?

I have used a NSA parachute, just not refined, and pretty heavy. Where do I get a camera and altimeter? And how expensive? Thanks.
SaskAlex
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by SaskAlex »

I wouldn't really worry about the camera and altimeter until you get a reliable parachute system. NSA is tricky. I don't know if anyone has ever done a real good job of one. I think the simplest way to get a reliable system is with a "tommy timer", the wind up motors from kids toys.

Once you do get your system nailed, the flycamone2 is a popular choice for video. Just google it. Personally, I don't see myself competing in the A or B class any time soon, so I just got a How High altimeter from http://www.wingedshadow.com. It's cheap, light and durable, but it doesn't record flight data for viewing on your PC, so it won't make you eligible to compete.

Alex
U.S. Water Rockets1
WRA2 Member
WRA2 Member

Post by U.S. Water Rockets1 »

SaskAlex wrote:I wouldn't really worry about the camera and altimeter until you get a reliable parachute system. NSA is tricky. I don't know if anyone has ever done a real good job of one. I think the simplest way to get a reliable system is with a "tommy timer", the wind up motors from kids toys.

Once you do get your system nailed, the flycamone2 is a popular choice for video. Just google it. Personally, I don't see myself competing in the A or B class any time soon, so I just got a How High altimeter from http://www.wingedshadow.com. It's cheap, light and durable, but it doesn't record flight data for viewing on your PC, so it won't make you eligible to compete.

Alex
They are reportedly working on a newer version that records flight logs. You really need those graphs to get the true story and tune your simulations.
Team U.S. Water Rockets
Visit USWaterRockets.com
Visit our Blog
Tune in to our YouTube Channel
Visit our Facebook page
Visit our Twitter Page
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. --Thomas Edison